The Robert McLaughlin Gallery: RBC Emerging Artist Residency Program 2019-2020
Call for Emerging Artists!
The Robert McLaughlin Gallery is excited to announce a new opportunity for emerging artists! Funded by the RBC Emerging Artist Project, we would like to offer four artists a paid residency experience in our new Artist Incubator Lab.
The residency package presents an opportunity for professional growth, exhibition experience, and collaboration with The RMG staff. We are currently accepting applications for early career artists, age 35 and under, who want to take ownership of this unique residency space and engage with the public.
Gallery A and the Artist Incubator Lab are an innovative exhibition and studio space within The Robert McLaughlin Gallery that support community activation and provide artists with professional development opportunities. The Artist Incubator Lab is a space for creativity and experimentation that strives to support the local arts ecosystem. The space provides artists with an opportunity to experiment, innovate, and grow their artistic practice. While in residence, artists are encouraged to create new work, generate bold ideas, have vision, and make meaningful connections with our visitors and our community.
Does this sound like a space you would like to be a part of? Offered to four artists per year, we pay a one-time residency fee of $3000 plus expenses to help with materials and install costs.
Your residency experience will include…
- Use of both the Artist Incubator Lab (studio) and Gallery A (exhibition space)
- Three months of residency followed by a one month exhibition in Gallery A
- Professional assistance and consultation with exhibition installation from The RMG staff
- Promotion of your work through our communication channels
- Professional development through a structured program with our curatorial staff
- The opportunity to have a reception on RMG Fridays, give an artist talk or tour, and make connections with our gallery audience and the greater community
Who you are:
- You are a developing, early career artist under the age of 35
- Artistic practice is the primary goal for your long-term career
- You are able to commit to the Artist Incubator Lab for a minimum of 16-20 hours per week
- Intend to use the residency to develop your artistic career
- You have an ambitious, experimental, and dedicated practice
Although priority will be given to residents of the Durham Region, all applications will be considered. We encourage individuals who reflect the diversity of our visitors and community to apply. We sincerely thank all residency applicants but must advise that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please apply using the downloadable form provided on our website and include the following in your application:
- A project proposal expressing what your artistic practice could gain from a residency at The RMG, clearly outlining your project and objectives for the duration of the residency
- Artist statement, a short bio, and digital documentation of your work
- Any other groups or people who may be involved in your work or project
- Indicate the time slot you are available for
Please note that in order to meet the residency requirements you are expected to be onsite at The RMG for 16-20 hours per week.
Available Residency Periods:
Residency Slot 3: – Sept 23-Dec 15 (exhibition open Jan 03-Feb 02, 2020) Application due: June 3, 2019
Residency Slot 4: – Dec 16-March 02 (exhibition open March 04-April 06, 2020) Application due: June 3, 2019
Digital File Format Submission:
Portfolios or samples of work should be submitted along with your application. You may choose to share your files via a Google Drive link, WeTransfer link or Dropbox. Please place all samples of work, artist statement, bio, and project proposal in one folder, clearly labelled with your first and last name. Although we would prefer one document, if you are submitting multiple, separate documents, please label each individual document as follows: LastnameFirstname_ArtistStatement.docx (for example). Application documents must be submitted as either Word doc or PDF.
Image files should be no larger than 1800 pixels (long side) at 72dpi. You may also submit links to videos on Vimeo or Youtube.
Please send your application to email@example.com
Do you have questions about this opportunity?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905 576-3000
The Robert McLaughlin Gallery is committed to diversity in the workplace and advocates equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. We are committed to ensuring that The Robert McLaughlin Gallery remains an inclusive, respectful, and safe space. The RMG encourages applications from everyone, including but not limited to women, indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities.