Project Manager – VUCAVU Expanded
Job Title: Project Manager
Hours: Part-time, flexible, term (June 2019 to December 2020)
Deadline: May 22, 2019
Start date: June 10, 2019
VUCAVU seeks a Project Manager for VUCAVU Expanded
The Project Manager is responsible for the development, coordination and management of a VUCAVU expansion project over an eighteen month term.
VUCAVU is a national not-for-profit organization established by The Coalition of Canadian Independent Media Arts Distributors / La Coalition Canadienne des distributeurs indépendants d’arts médiatiques (CCIMAD). VUCAVU provides members with national and international accessibility to their catalogues through a shared digital platform allowing improved digital access to Canadian independent film and video and providing greater awareness of Canadian artists and curators working in media arts. In 2011 the Canada Council for the Arts (CCA) approached eleven media arts Distributors to build this national platform and CCIMAD was subsequently created by eight of the Distributors to fulfill this mandate. It incorporated in 2013 as a national non-profit. Between 2013 and 2016, with an investment of $1.5 million from the CCA, VUCAVU.com was created and publicly launched it in 2016. VUCAVU is overseen by CCIMAD, a volunteer board comprised of professionals in media arts distribution. More information on VUCAVU here: https://vucavu.com/en/home
VUCAVU Expanded is a multi-faceted partnership program involving consultations, business and financial development, a technological update, and implementation, analysis, and dissemination. VUCAVU Expanded will transform its operational model, technology, and mandate by consulting and working with a number of artistic partner organizations across Canada, forging an expanded reach with increased revenues and benefits to artists. This new mandate will allow expanded work with more partners within media arts and the greater arts sector. In addition to the Project Manager, VUCAVU Expanded will include a Project Team comprised of a Community and Content Manager, Digital Strategist, Digital Business Consultant, Strategy Advisor and an Arts Sector Consultant. The program will be overseen by the Executive Committee which includes media arts managers from across Canada who will provide administrative and organizational expertise, financial oversight, HR management and artistic guidance.
VUCAVU Expanded has been partially funded by a Canada Council for the Arts Digital Strategy Fund. The Project Manager will be responsible for seeking out and pursuing additional sources of funding.
As a national organization VUCAVU does not have a central office. The Project Manager may be located in any region of Canada.
The Project Manager is responsible for the development, coordination and management of the expansion program. Reporting to the Executive Committee, the Project Manager will:
- Collaborate with the Executive Committee and Project Team on program development and implementation including strategy meetings with consultants and contractors and review of user surveys and past feedback.
- Seek out new funding sources across Canada and prepare grant applications
- Consult with and perform needs assessment with current content partners, new media arts partners, and potential collaborators in Canada, the US and overseas.
- Research broader arts sector participation and consult across the arts sector
- Create new by-laws developed for CCIMAD board
- Review existing contracts and create new legal agreements for members
- Research for cost-benefit and business plan
- Oversee creation of business plan
- Create new operational documentation and policies
- Create technical specifications, based on recommendations of Digital Strategist, to accommodate the cost-benefit analysis, survey feedback from 2018, user feedback (ongoing) and content partner needs (founding and new)
- Develop streaming programs with each partner organization
- Manage launch schedule for streaming programs
- Oversee the launch of new programs by partners for feedback and testing
- Oversee development and launch of marketing campaigns for streaming programs
- Create informational packages, process documents and promotional materials for perspective content partners
- Develop marketing for launch of expanded site and added benefits for new partners
- Create and conduct surveys for all partners and users based on new streaming programs and technology updates
- Share and review results of surveys with stakeholders
- Analyze feedback and amend documents as required
- Prepare final reports
- Produce reports for all consultations, research, and feedback and co-ordinate translation to French
- Attend all national meetings of the Executive Committee/Project Team as relates to VUCAVU Expanded (costs covered separately). Critically, to attend the first strategy meeting in Toronto in mid-June 2019.
Ideal candidate will have
- Proven experience in project development and management
- The ability to work collaboratively with executive team, partners, consultants and contractors
- The ability to work independently from a home office with personal computer
- Proven leadership in and familiarity with the media arts and broader art sector
- Extensive experience in grant writing and budget management
- Excellent communication, presentation and writing skills
- Strong planning and organization skills including the ability to prioritize projects and manage time effectively
- Proven managerial experience, creativity and vision
- Experience working with a Board of Directors and volunteers
- Bilingual (French) an asset
- $45,000 over an eighteen month term based on approximately 2-3 days per week.
- Time expectations may vary from week to week and month to month, depending on project tasks.
VUCAVU encourages applications from candidates who identify as visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage within diverse artistic communities.
How to Apply:
Applicants are asked to submit a letter of interest and CV as well as three professional references to the attention of:
Project Manager Hiring Committee, VUCAVU Expanded
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.