Operations Manager, the8fest Small-Gauge Film Festival
the8fest Small-Gauge Film Festival • Operations Manager
Part Time: Flexible hours per week dependent on festival schedule
Salary: Renewable, 12-month contract starting at $21/hour
Closing Date: Friday, March 13, 2020 at Midnight
Start Date: Monday, March 23, 2020
the8fest is a little festival for small films. Located in Toronto, the8fest small-gauge film festival takes place Friday through Sunday on the last weekend of January.
- Overseeing the business operation of the festival, including the maintenance of all records of the8fest
- Ensuring adherence to the8fest policies and procedures
- Bookkeeping, preparing cheques, banking, and having a handle on the financial state of the8fest
- Preparing and submitting applications to appropriate arts granting bodies, in consultation with the Board of Directors
- Communicating and preparing information to the Board of Directors through the facilitation of contracts
- Organizing the submissions process and selection jury, communicating with the filmmakers, curators, Board of Directors, contract staff, and granting bodies
- Coordinating print traffic around the festival and during year-round the8fest events; this includes: handling delicate, often camera-original prints with care, and arranging with artists the delivery of incoming and outgoing prints
- Preparing and supervising the compilation and fabrication of the8fest catalogue, poster, and other promotional materials, in addition to overseeing the distribution of these materials
- Promoting the festival through marketing, maintaining the festival’s archive, website, and social media sites
- During the three-day festival, being available to coordinate the festival and to serve as the face of the8fest
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
- Post-secondary degree in film, arts administration, or equivalent
- Experience with grant writing and grant reporting for not-for-profit organizations, including knowledge of arts councils eligibility and requirement
- Excellent knowledge of film and contemporary art practices
- Administrative skills and experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working in a gallery, museum, artist-run centre, or non-profit cultural organization
- A solid working knowledge of various computer applications including word processing, spreadsheets, InDesign, web management, and graphics
- Fundraising skills
- Fluency in French is an asset
Applications should include a cover letter outlining experience, interest, and relevant skills as they relate to the operation of a non-profit cultural organization; current resume; and three references. Applications must be received no later than midnight on Friday, March 13, 2020.
Email application to:
the8fest Search Committee
Please refer to the festival website at www.the8fest.com for more information about the festival.
the8fest is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. the8fest is committed to equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusiveness in its employment practices and we respect the right of applicants and employees to fair and equitable treatment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply. We encourage persons with disabilities to contact the8fest to identify and discuss how we could accommodate them during the recruitment process. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
the8fest is made possible through the generous support of:
The Canada Council for the Arts, The Ontario Arts Council, and produced with the support of the City of Toronto through the Toronto Arts Council as well as our audience, filmmakers, volunteers, sponsors, and community partners.