EQUINOX GALLERY, VANCOUVER
April 4, 2019
Vancouver’s Equinox Gallery, one of Canada’s pre-eminent private galleries that features a dynamic program of exhibitions by the artists it represents as well as works from estates and the secondary market, is seeking an enthusiastic member for its tight, energetic team.
The Gallery Manager reports to the Gallery Director. Working closely with other staff, oversees and executes all of the administrative functions of the gallery that allow it to function smoothly and efficiently—from communication systems, databases/archives/library, insurance, office supplies and book-keeping to contact with visitors, artists, collectors, artworld peers and vendors. This full-time position is the public face of the gallery and the incumbent will have excellent interpersonal and administrative skills with a positive, team-oriented, professional approach. Normal workdays are Tuesday through Saturday with some extended hours as required for openings, special events and other purposes.
- Welcomes clients and gallery visitors
- Manages and coordinates office operations including: creating and maintaining physical and digital filing systems; managing and updating client database; cataloguing works in art inventory; maintaining office supplies and equipment; overseeing all office IT and telecommunications support including hardware and software renewal; managing and responding to correspondence, emails and telephone calls; regularly updating website; maintaining a professional reception area
- Financial management including: general ledger accounting; bill payments; producing and tracking invoices; timely payments to artists and consignees; negotiating vendor rates; producing monthly receivable/payable and sales reports
- Ensures physical and digital security systems are running smoothly and are updated as needed; assesses insurance needs and procures coverage
- Develops and executes an overall marketing plan including coordinating production of print and online marketing materials such as press releases, ads, announcements, social media posts
- Maintains and updates artist archives and organizes the library
- Recruits and manages interns
- Tracks and monitors artworks available at auction; assists in negotiating and overseeing purchases through private sale and auction
- Coordinates special projects such as commissions and specific client needs
- Event coordination with outside vendors for openings and special events
- Other needs as they arise.
- 2+ years of management experience in a visual arts organization preferably a private gallery context
- Post-secondary education in art history or related field with a working knowledge of contemporary art
- Excellent administrative skills, including experience in book keeping, running an office, record maintenance, developing materials for various communications platforms
- Proficient with MAC, Microsoft Office suite, Filemaker
- Experience in creating marketing plans especially for social media
- Exceptional written and verbal skills and experience with the public, Mandarin language an asset
- Attention to detail, follow-through and outstanding diplomatic and interpersonal skills
- Positive demeanor and keen to grow in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Knowledge of conducting market valuations and appraisals an asset
If you have the required qualifications for this position, please send your application including a cover letter and CV to email@example.com by midnight Monday April 22, 2019 with the subject: Gallery Manager. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Remuneration is commensurate with experience. Start date is May 2019.