Call for Board of Directors Members, The STEPS Initiative
Roles: (1) Treasurer, Board of Directors; (2) Member, Board of Directors
Location: Toronto, Canada
Start Date: January 1, 2020
Deadline: October 4, 2019
The STEPS Initiative is an award-winning charitable organization that inspires cities across Canada and around the world to create welcoming public spaces that reflect local culture. We develop one-of-a-kind public art plans, installations, and engagement strategies that foster vibrant communities.
As a public art organization with an ambitious growth plan for the next five years, we’re looking to expand our Board of Directors. The Board is the governing body of STEPS. It oversees the organization and supports STEPS’ management in continuing to offer ground-breaking cultural programming while ensuring the establishment of strong organizational infrastructure and sustainability.
The organization’s staff is comprised of deeply passionate, high energy and hardworking people. We are seeking up to three new Directors, including a Treasurer, equally excited about our mission and values. Members are elected on an annual basis, with the expectation that Directors commit to at least a two-year term.
At present, the Board meets four times per year, typically in the evenings for two hours. Board members are also expected to attend the Annual General Meeting which usually takes place in the fall. Directors will also be expected to provide occasional advice and assistance to management between meetings as related to their unique skill-set and expertise. Meetings take place at STEPS’ administrative offices, a short walk away from Union Station at 39 Queens Quay East.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- prior charitable governance experience;
- expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- finance/accounting background (if interested in Treasurer position);
- business model development
- charitable/foundation fundraising;
- communications/marketing/media relations;
- public art, community arts practice or placemaking;
- engaging diverse communities or youth;
- a commitment to the mission of STEPS;
- comfort contributing to in-person group meetings, as well as online; and
- availability to meet in-person on a quarterly basis in downtown Toronto.
Please submit to Executive Director Alexis Kane Speer (email@example.com) a resume and cover letter outlining your interest in this opportunity and where you feel your skills would be most put to use.